BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> openElement General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ensuring existing website is mobile friendly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ensuring existing website is mobile friendly
    Posted: Sep 17 2022 at 4:11pm
Hi everyone. 
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, I've not posted before.
I wrote a website using open Element several years ago when desktops were the main way to surf the net. Now most people search online on thier phones. The website does not view well on a phone. Is there a way to add or alter the existing OpenElement code for it to view better, without having to rewrite the lot from scratch. Please help. Thanks.
Troy
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2022 at 11:20am
There are tools within OE to design a responsive WEB site.

You must learn some techniques to understand what it's all about.

I made some videos to help this process:  https://denislafrance.net/index.en.htm#formation

Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2022 at 11:23am
Keep in mind that Media Edition is a feature that was added to allow a preview of your site on several devices.

You should add a link to your site to this post so we can see what level of work will be required
troy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2022 at 12:19pm
Hi Hobby 001,
Thanks for your response.
I had a brief look at your tutorials and will look in greater detail later. They do appear to give instructions from building the site from scratch. Is there anything that can be done to an existing site? 
The site in question is www.juleshomevisits.co.uk. ; I wrote this for my wife's business 5 or 6 yrs ago.im not very proficient in Web design, so please forgive my mistakes. Comments on how to remedy the display would be much appreciated. 
Troy 
Troy
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2022 at 5:51pm
Your site used an old static model

Responsive requires a totaly different approach.

You may be able to copy-paste elements from the old to the new site but idealy you will build a new site.
troy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2022 at 6:19pm
Hi,
That's rather what I feared. 
That's what I will have to do then. 
Does the new OE version include responsiveness by default,  or do I need to enable something? 
Thanks a lot for your assistance.

Troy
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2022 at 6:50pm
Simply download and install OE 1.57 R9 from the OE site 

It's not possible to use one of the templates from the OE create site page  but OE keeps working
webdesigner1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote webdesigner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2022 at 5:05am
There is another option. 

Many sites used to, and some still do a "user agent" type detection then serve either mobile.yoursite or www.yoursite. ;

You can just design a static 480px wide OE site as the mobile version and it works fine. 

Cloudflare has a built-in, and very easy-to-use user agent redirect type. 

You would simply add a mobile.yoursite.co.uk a record and build a mobile version of the site with the same content in a 480px wide format and use Cloudflare to redirect mobile users to said domain name. 
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2022 at 9:15am
Originally posted by webdesigner1 webdesigner1 wrote:

There is another option. 

Many sites used to, and some still do a "user agent" type detection then serve either mobile.yoursite or www.yoursite. ;

You can just design a static 480px wide OE site as the mobile version and it works fine. 

Cloudflare has a built-in, and very easy-to-use user agent redirect type. 

You would simply add a mobile.yoursite.co.uk a record and build a mobile version of the site with the same content in a 480px wide format and use Cloudflare to redirect mobile users to said domain name. 

Let's say you use that and obtain a version for PC, a version for tablet and a version for phone ( I would consider that as a minimum).  Every change to the site will have to be done on each of the 3 versions.

If you build your site as responsive, a single change will be requied since this single site will adapt to every screen.
webdesigner1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote webdesigner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2022 at 7:16am
Yes, but the OP wanted to preserve his original template-style website and make a new mobile version. Since he can't really do that with the original site this is an easy stop-gap. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic