BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> openElement General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OE continued development and support.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote webdesigner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OE continued development and support.
    Posted: Sep 04 2022 at 3:07am
Hello, 

This is an open message to all here. 

I am in upper management at a company called the Telocity Group. We operate a few business units, namely an ISP and a separate hosting/infrastructure company. We also own a software development unit, that mainly creates backend networking tools and server side software. One of the tools we use internally is OE. We use it to build most of our internal web portals and tools, customer facing websites, etc. -We've even used it to build login pages on our public WiFi services. 

While this form account is new, I've been an OE user personally for years, and so has my company. I have seen this project, which started as a company stall and loose momentum year after year. I can see the end near since no new development work is being done, and the application is still partially broken. In addition from what I can see even the website hosting lacks the funds to continue long term. 

I don't want to see OE, the only decent WYSIWYG editor out there that is still relatively up to date disappear!

So I am publicly addressing all OE staff/great volunteers -

We are interested in officially continuing OE in its current spirit long term as an open source software project/freeware made available by us with community involvement. While this is partially motivated because we use this tool internally and don't want to loose it, it is also to continue to keep OE up to date, working well, and free for all of you!

What we are proposing is:

Hosting the OE website, forms, domains, etc indefinitely with no commercial interest -so that we can all continue to reliably have a place to use and discuss OE. 

Developing new features and maintaining the codebase- New features like a community element library, and continuing enhancements like fixing bugs in the software base, and most importantly keep OE functional on new windows editions and compatible with modern web standards. 

Our goal is to keep OE here for the long-haul so that we can all benefit from a great piece of software, and not let it become another obscure lost program that isn't updated. 

What I am asking from you is that we can work together to make this happen. -If you are in a position to work with me- Please message me!

I look forward to discussing this and hopefully renewing OEs lease on life. 

Thank you.  

webdesigner1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote webdesigner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2022 at 3:12am
I would also like to mention. 

If anyone can put me in contact with the original developers, or point me in the right direction it would be highly appreciated. If it is required we are willing to acquire the code base (source code) by purchasing it from the devs- we will then keep things updated for you all. 

So if anyone can assist with this we would be very grateful. 

Thanks all! 
digizar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digizar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2022 at 2:35pm
Could you pull the source code? I offered a few weeks ago?
Strange for me is, that that code has file extension *.vba.
which usually is a Visual Basic version.
But my feeling is that OE is some MS-Visual-C(++) version.
The OE might be to large for VB, even not able to handle it at all.

And that code I captured somewhere, seems to be too small.

Such precious part (OE) of code MUST NOT be lost.
Some small bugs have to be removed, too, which looks pretty simple.
(Do not delete any Folder, delete a folder with the file Explorer! only, and the reload it completely; otherweise the project is killed, and can not be recovered).
And over the years I came along with some interesting options/enhancements, nice to haves.

I am still proficient in MS- Visual Studio, so I could also be handy with coding and description, testing.
I could even try to post it to Linux / Mac (Qt).
I do NOT know more than just the rudimentaries of html/css, but I still learn fast.
But I miss the code, too. :-(

And most important, I do not need any income because I'm retired.
I also offered a reasonable amount of monthly fee to keep the product running.

But everything depends on the source code.
To re-build it from scratch? Just not possible.

Original developer(s)?
As far as I guessed, one was a russian, located in Great Britain. He just silently disappeared without a trace.

Edited by digizar - Sep 05 2022 at 2:47pm
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2022 at 10:28pm
Visual Studio is required to open it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote webdesigner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2022 at 3:04am
Hello Digizar, 

Please see the private message I am sending you shortly. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote webdesigner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2022 at 3:10am
Hobby, 

How was the update made recently that fixed some issues? 

Did the person who made that have the source code? 
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2022 at 11:40am
It was the last cooperation from the former dev group.

It's all I know

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote webdesigner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2022 at 5:39pm
Are you receiving my private messages Digizar? 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic