BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> User Tutorials
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Assistance for A Newbie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DougK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Assistance for A Newbie
    Posted: Mar 05 2018 at 4:40am
First, I'd like to say that I'm very encouraged by what I have read and seen online about OE.  The program seems amazing, and it will only get better with the active community supporting it.  I'm looking forward to getting there myself, someday, and will hopefully be able to produce a few tutorials to help others avoid the struggles I'm having.  Unfortunately, I went to the trouble of creating a mock up of the website I went to build, and saved it as a PDF file hoping that I would be able to upload it here to help explain what I'm trying to accomplish, but I don't see the capability to upload a PDF with my post. Instead, I had to upload copies of each individual mock up page.

I've read through the PDF tutorial that John Blain produced (much thanks), and I viewed the english tutorials that Brandon produced (again, much thanks), but the YouTube videos are for a previous version, and neither Brandon's videos or John's brochure truly cover what I'm attempting to accomplish.  I'll try to explain it the best I can, and hopefully the images will help make sense.

First, I'm trying to create a basic informational website for a tanning salon, but I haven't created a website since the early '90s when FrontPage was a thing, and I imagine some of the people in this forum weren't even born yet!  I'd like to insert a picture of a tropical beach as the background for the page but I have been unable to figure out how to do so and get the results I'm looking for.  I want the picture of the beach to fill the screen but not move when a visitor scrolls through the site.  I want the image to truly be in the background, so I toned it down to 50% transparency in the mock up.  I want it to essentially do exactly what the screen wallpaper does on a monitor or laptop screen.  I only downloaded OE two days ago, so I really haven't figured out what I'm doing yet, even after reading and watching tutorials.  When I think I understand, and try something, I screw it up, so I know I didn't really understand yet.  I tried to insert a very high resolution version of the image thinking I could just shrink it down, but I can't figure out how I can resize the image to fit the browser window, so I only see a very small portion of the entire image.  I tried inserting progressively smaller versions of the image hoping I could stretch one out, but that didn't work either and I got a tiling effect on the right side and bottom of the window (UGLY!).  I haven't really gotten any further because I've been struggling with the background image thing for almost 2 days.  I did try to figure out how to create navigation panes on different portions of the window, but that wasn't working like I expected either.

If someone can help me at least get started by explaining how to create a background "wallpaper" for the web site, or tell me if it's even possible, I would greatly appreciate it.  TIA.

Well, I tried to install the images and I got an error message in French.  No idea what it means.  If anyone thinks they might be able to help, please let me know and I can email a PDF of the mockup.  TIA
rchnorton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rchnorton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2021 at 1:26am
Hey DougK,

I'm new to OE too and have been playing around with some of the templates while I learn, these are a great way to start creating a page as quite a bit of the work is done and you can customise the elements, images & text within to create your site while using the tutorials to understand the different parts of the process.

OE is interesting as it's half english and half french, I find myself sitting with google translate open when I'm using it, it's certainly a practical wayto learn some French Wink

I'd be happy to see your mockup pdf so feel free to post it if you can
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2021 at 2:52am
Hi,

I made some video tutorial and some custom elements.  

Here is a note that I intend to send to new users as much as I can.

Welcome to the openElement Forum

To acquire better openElement knowledge, my suggestion is  that you spend some time looking at the video tutorial on this YouTube playlist.

In addition, there are other videos on this other YouTube playlist

You will find several user tutorial here

In addition to the models available from openElement’s library you may have a look to those offered by Sensode

In addition to OE’s standard elements, some additional user designed elements are available here

P.S.

It is important that you understand that all help provided here is given by volunteers.

We are not openElement’s staff.

We are happy to help when we are available to provide tips, tricks, and sometimes a few code lines. We appreciate that users make a serious research and self-study effort.

Some of us work in Europe, others around the world. Consequently, the response time may also depend on time zones.

When the requirement is too great, it can be contracted and the required retribution will pay for the development.

Always take care to open a new subject for each of your questions

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic